Friday, April 16, 2010

Dominoes and Daring Do

I remember when I was a junior high school kid that from time to time my grandmother would receive a visitor at our old house in Pleasanton, Texas.  It was a sweet elderly lady that grandma Pearl would introduce as my great aunt Florence, Finley.  She was a sweet lady, her hair so white it seemed to have a bluish tint to it. I remember she and granny would sit and play dominoes and drink coffee for hours.  They would laugh and talk about the good old days of long ago and I would sit and listen a little while, but soon excuse myself to pursue a more entertaining past time.  On occasion I would try to play forty-two with these ladies but I was way to slow to keep up with the game.  These gals would throw down their dominoes so quickly that you would hear the plop plop plop of their dominoes and then a long pause, as I would be trying to figure my play.  I gave up soon and just preferred to sit on the sideline and watch the pros do it instead. 
I didn’t realize at the time or nearly appreciate the person that was there visiting in my home. I couldn’t appreciate what a wealth of historical and literary knowledge Mrs. Finley possessed. Granny told me she was an authoress and that she had written several books that talked about our ancestors but as a kid you just don’t value things as much as I now do.  Florence Finley was a W.P.A. writer.  She had been part of the W.P.A. Life Histories Project during the 1930s.  Congress in 1936 authorized writers from all over the country to find and interview the pioneers and early settlers of our country and get them to tell their experiences in their own words. My aunt Florence whose maiden name was Angermiller at the time was commissioned to be one of those writers.  She traveled a good bit of Texas in those days and literally sat on the porches and in the homes of some of the old timers of our state that were still alive in those days. She recorded their stories word for word as they sat and shared their recollections of the early pioneer days of Texas.  Those interviews are preserved in the Library of Congress to this day and are available on the web.  They are so interesting to read. Eventually aunt Florence compiled her works into several books that today are rare Texana collectables.  She is the author of Old Timers and Old Timers of Southwest Texas. She also is the Author of Heart Full of Horses a book that tells stories about the many wranglers and cowboys of early Texas. If it were not for her writing many of the stories from our ancestors would have been lost to posterity.
I post here a sample of her work, which was an interview with my Great Great Grandmother Emma Davenport. The interviews are too lengthy to be placed in a Blog post so I will instead give you the direct link to the W.P.A. Life Histories site that has them. I do not have permission from the Library of Congress to reproduce them.  The two interviews detail the life of Emma herself as she grew up in the Sabinal Canyon the daughter of Chris Kelly one of the old trail drivers who drove a herd to California in the middle of the great Gold rush of 1849. She tells of Indian depredations and horse thieving.  She tells of her trip to San Antonio in the 1870’s, an engagement party as she called it, before her wedding to John.
In the second interview Emma Davenport talks about her mother in law. Mary Davenport.  Florence Finley called her aunt Mary Davenport. Mary was the daughter of Captain John Crane an old boy hood friend of Andrew Jackson and veteran of the Creek Indian war, later a veteran of the Texas war for Independence. Her husband John Davenport was ambushed and scalped by Indians in 1859 just a few miles from Sabinal leaving Mary widowed with two sons.  The youngest of the two sons John Davenport jr. was later to become Emma’s husband. My great grandfather Rollie was one of their 10 children.
I hope you enjoy these interviews. Grab a cup of coffee or Tea and sit and read a history by a woman who lived it and told it in her own words. Click on this link: interviews and it will take you to the home page of American Life Histories home page. Look for the search by keywords link on the left of the page. Click on that and enter the word Davenport. The search results should give you both interviews at the top of the page. Click on their names and the interview manuscript should appear.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome!!! Aunt Pearl would love it!

Janet Graham Theberge said...

I loved reading your blog about the Davenports and Kelleys. What a GREAT story! I am related to the Sabinal/Utopia Davenports and Kelleys, too. My great-great grandpa was Jack Kelley. Thanks for the blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael! i was so thrilled to come across your blog, and find we are kinfolk!
im 25 years old and the Davenport ranch has been a passion of mine,since i first began learning the family history. we've recently started holding reunions again in the canyon in Oct,and id love to extend and invitation to you and your family.

If you have a moment to give me a shout i'd love to hear from you!

All the best,
Rian in San Antone
texas1986@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Michael, I read your account of the murder of your mon's mother in San Antonio. I was recently visiting the cemetary near Tivoli to verify some dates of my great-grandfather Upton Ross Loman. Mr Loman was the father of Aunt Pearl and of my grandmother, Clara Bailey. I noticed a section with several Squyres buried there, including a Richard D Squyres, died 1985. your mom's cousin, Lyndon Knippa

Anonymous said...

As per our conversation last nite, I took time to read about Claiborne and was enthralled with all of it. Also had an opportunity to correct some dates and names that were wrong on my info. Also enjoyed reading acct of ya'lls jaunt through Davenport ranchland. I believe that Mr. Horton passed away recently. Mr. Howard did me the same way, but he didn't when Florence Fenley's gdaughter, Daune Reiner contacted him. She made her way to the old cem. and got pics which will be at the Reagan Wells reunion this yr. Hope to meet and see ya at the Davenport/Kelley Reunion as we talked about. Your Davenport/Kelley cousin, Sherry Hall

William said...

I enjoyed your stories immensely, particularly the interview of your grandmother. I found your stories by accident while researching the history of floods on the Sabinal. Thank you so much for posting them.

GOOD OLD COUNTRY GIRL said...

Hello Sir, my name is Ethel and I am a descendant of Charlie & Mittie Estes from Sabinal Texas! I found your blog while looking for pictures of old Sabinal. I really enjoy reading your work! I am so happy you have shared this with us all! I will be back to read more!
Ethel
dusty_rider2004@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Dear One, so glad you have continued to write about Claiborne. Being a gggranddaughter of his namesake, Clabe, I hope that he knew what an important part his grandfather, Claiborne, played in establishing our nation. Makes me proud. Thanks for sharing, Sherry Hall

Anonymous said...

Its not my first time to pay a quick visit this site, i am
browsing this web page dailly and obtain good information from here everyday.



my blog post: how you can help

Linda Parker Howdyshell said...

Hell-o!
Just learned from 2 different sources that we are connected.
My great grandmother, Sidney Dorcus Goss (Shockley) mother was Julia Davenport, father Alvis Goss..
I was given your blog info from Sherry via hillbillies @ blah blah…..
I'm anxious to be reading the history you've posted in your blog. This has been an exciting journey to finally find my great grandmother's family. Hope to keep in touch. Now, I will continue to also keep on the trail of looking for Sidney's husband's family (which I've not much luck at all yet.).
Thank you for everything you've shared.
Linda Parker Howdyshell.

Anonymous said...

Found your site today by happenstance while researching my Davenport history. The information you have compiled is amazing! I look forward to reading and learning all that I can in the days to come. I descend from Claiborne's son, Stephen Sr., Stephen Jr., then to James M., Leonard Texas, Ira Eldon, then finally to my dad, Don. Thank you so much for doing this! Angel Davenport-Mikusak